The Hubby and I are expecting another little one in December and we learned from our first little one to have plenty of quick and easy meals available. We did not plan very well the first time around and while we had amazing friends and family constantly bringing us food, it would have been nice to have some easy to prepare food on hand for breakfast or even just to snack on. I know the baby is not due until December, but we have decided to start testing out some freezer meal ideas before he arrives. We decided to start with freezer breakfast burritos.
20 tortillas (we used Tortilla Land uncooked flour tortillas from Costco)
20 eggs scrambeled
2 lbs ground pork sausage (we grind our own and add spices)
2 tbsp canola oil
12 gold potatoes finely chopped
1 onion finely chopped
1 green pepper finely chopped
1/4 block of cheddar cheese grated
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat 1 tbsp of canola oil in a large pan and cook the ground pork thoroughly, about 8 – 10 minutes (set aside when done).
2. While the pork is cooking, finely chop the potatoes, onions, and bell pepper.
3. Heat the other tbsp of canola oil in a large skillet, add the chopped onion and green pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes
4. Add the chopped potatoes and cook on high mixing frequently for 15 minutes.
A little help is always welcome 🙂
5. After the potatoes have cooked about 15 minutes, add the sausage to the mixture and cook another 5 minutes.
6. Wisk together 20 eggs in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
7. Once the potato and sausage mixture is cooked, remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Cook the eggs in the same skillet.
8. Once the eggs are cooked, set aside to let them cool as well. You won’t want to be putting together the burritos with hot food. Heat up the tortillas slightly in a skillet. You want them to be pliable and easy to roll so do not fully cook them.
9. Shred the block of cheese (we use our cheese shredder attachment on the Kitchen Aid food processor)
10. It’s time to put together the burritos. We added cheese to half of them and kept cheese out of the other half. Roll them up and place them on a sheet to freeze individually in the freezer.
I let the burritos freeze for about an hour and then take them out and put them into large baggies. When you are ready to eat, roll one up in a damp paper towel and microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds and voila…you have delicious breakfast burritos ready to go.